Background of Dhammaduta College
Background of Dhammaduta College
Overseas Dhammaduta Bhikkhus Training Project was jointly conducted by two Sects: Mahānikāya and Dhammayuttika Sects, during the years 1966-1967 (B.E. 2509-2510) and was ceased due to some essential factors. However, the need of Dhammaduta Bhikkhus going abroad increasing steadily, particularly in the United States. Buddhism dissemination task from Thailand officially began in 1970 (B.E. 2513). The first temple was established from a small house on July 6, 1971 (B.E.2514). After that, the number of Thai temples increased, especially in the big cities such as New York, Washington D.C., Chicago, Los Angeles.
When Thai Bhikkhus went abroad more to propagate Buddhism, but the training management was ceased. The Sangha Supreme Council of Thailand under the support of the Department of Religious Affairs, revived this training project and granted His Holiness Somdet Phra Putthacarn (Buddhacarya) (Kiaw Upasena), Member of The Sangha Supreme Council of Thailand, as the Director of training Mahānikāya Bhikkhus and His Holiness Somdet Phra Buddhachinnawong (Prajuab Kantacaro), Member of The Sangha Supreme Council of Thailand, as Director of training Dhammayuttika-nikāya Bhikkhus. Both Mahātheras assigned this training tasks to Mahāmakut Buddhist University and Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University to be the operational units respectively. The Department of Religious Affairs provide budget support in the amount of over 200,000 Baht (two hundred thousand Baht) to each University in conducting this training project. The training project, hence started as concrete form earnestly once again, since 1995 (B.E. 2538) up to the present. Its purpose is similar in operation, namely:
1. To train Dhammaduta Bhikkhus to have knowledge and ability, good moral conduct and duties; and to have the confidence in performing religious activities abroad increasingly.
2. To prepare Dhammaduta Bhikkhus who have proper qualifications, sent overseas.
3. To fulfill tasks in Buddhism dissemination abroad of Thai Sangha.
Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University (MCU) has provided training course for Overseas Dhammaduta Bhikkhus once a year. The Class 1 training course began in 1995 (B.E. 2538). There were 49 Dhammaduta Bhikkhus passed the training course. There were training continued up to Class 20 in 2014 (B.E. 2557) when Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University (MCU) has announced the establishment of Dhammaduta College. Phra Sophonvachirabhorn held a position of Acting Director for Dhammaduta College. The training has proceeded continuously as being Class 21 in B.E. 2558. There were 98 Dhammaduta Bhikkhus accomplished. When compiling Dhammaduta Bhikkhus training statistic from the Class 1 to Class 21, there were 1,547 Dhammaduta Bhikkhus passed the training course. They have travelled to propagate Buddhism worldwide. There are a number of Thai temples abroad to 39 countries.
Dhammaduta College Establishment
As Mahachulalongkornrajavidhalaya University has issued the Announcement of Mahachulalongkornrajavidhalaya University on Mission, Authority, Responsibility of Divisions in the University, BE. 2557, announced on 29 April, BE. 2557.
- Dhammaduta College
The College has missions with the task of teaching to develop Dhammaduta Bhikkhus, to organize Dhammaduta training, research, develop format and methods of Buddhism dissemination both in the country and overseas.
18.1 College Office. This office has authority and responsibility over the management and information of the College and to perform the other related or the assigned tasks.
1) Management Group. This group takes responsibility over administrative work, budget cooperation, finance, accounting, supplies, policy and planning development including the
coordination with the other related divisions and to perform the other related or the assigned tasks.
2) Planning, Research and Development Group. This group works on Study Analysis, Implementation of Restructuring Information Technology System to collect data and the data storage of the College systematically and to work on the other related or the assigned tasks.
18.2 Academic Office. This office has authority and responsibility over the planning and development of curriculum, research and development and to work on the other related or the assigned tasks.
1) Planning, Registration, Evaluation and Information Group. This group works on planning and developing Dhammaduta curriculum both in the country and overseas to comply with the College’s objectives and to perform the other related or the assigned tasks.
2) Academic and Educational Quality Group. This group works on organizing the study analysis, assessment and the Dhammaduta College development to be widespread and comprehensive numerous countries and also to work on the other related or the assigned tasks.